India’s Top 10 Exports
Strategically located near highly populated trading partners including China, Pakistan and Bangladesh, the Republic of India shipped US$322.8 billion worth of goods around the globe in 2019. That dollar amount reflects a -0.4% reduction since 2015 but a 22.3% gain from 2018 to 2019.
Based on the average exchange rate for 2019, the Indian rupee has depreciated by -9.8% against the US dollar since 2015 and declined by -3% from 2018 to 2019. India’s weaker local currency makes Indian exports paid for in stronger US dollars relatively less expensive for international buyers.
The latest available country-specific data shows that 54.8% of products exported from India were bought by importers in: United States (16.8% of the global total), United Arab Emirates (9.2%), China (5.3%), Hong Kong (3.5%), Singapore (3.3%), United Kingdom (2.7%), Netherlands (2.7%), Germany (also 2.7%), Bangladesh (2.6%), Nepal (2.2%), Belgium (2%) and Malaysia (1.9%).
From a continental perspective, 47.8% of India’s exports by value were delivered to fellow Asian countries while 19.3% were sold to European importers. India shipped another 18.8% worth of goods to North America. Smaller percentages went to Africa (9.1%), Latin America excluding Mexico but including the Caribbean (3%), and Oceania led by Australia (1.1%).
Given India’s population of 1.352 billion people, its total $322.8 billion in 2019 exported products translates to $240 for every resident in the vast South Asian country.
India’s Top 10 Exports
The following export product groups categorize the highest dollar value in Indian global shipments during 2019. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from India.
- Mineral fuels including oil: US$44.1 billion (13.7% of total exports)
- Gems, precious metals: $36.7 billion (11.4%)
- Machinery including computers: $21.2 billion (6.6%)
- Organic chemicals: $18.3 billion (5.7%)
- Vehicles: $17.2 billion (5.3%)
- Pharmaceuticals: $16.1 billion (5%)
- Electrical machinery, equipment: $14.7 billion (4.5%)
- Iron, steel: $9.7 billion (3%)
- Clothing, accessories (not knit or crochet): $8.6 billion (2.7%)
- Knit or crochet clothing, accessories: $7.9 billion (2.5%)
India’s top 10 exports accounted for roughly three-fifths (60.2%) of the overall value of its global shipments.
Chemicals We Export
- Triethanolamine 85%
- Dimethyl Amino Ethanol
- PE Wax (High density)
- Boric Acid IP
- Lithium Hydroxide Monohydrate
- Universal carbon
- Soda Bicarb